Saturday, March 3, 2012

Music Is My Life - Part 1 (the 70s and 80s)

I always wonder why I never got into music biz but I know the main reason why: I can't play a darn instrument if my life depended on it.  I hate to say this but I'm also biased toward the kinds of music I listen to. I do remember taking guitar lessons in 8th grade and learning to play the "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John, but no that's not the style of music I was into later on. Would you believe I still remember the darn notes?  Funny what  you remember in life.



One of the first groups that made me interesting in listening to music was my dad's record by Donna Summer and to this day I still love her music. Disco wasn't my thing and I was a bit older when disco hype was in but I'll remember Donna Summer forever.



The next step in my my music evolution was listening to the the Beatles in my 6th grade class when my teacher played the song"Eight Days a Week" and asked us what was wrong with the title. I didn't care. I loved the music and from then on they were a big music influence in my teenage years.  From the Beatles I discovered 60s fashion, movies, groups, mods, Vietnam War, feminist era, birth control, and the list goes on.  This was a period of change where I so wished I had experienced.  Too bad I didn't grow up in that era but I've tried to carry on the Mod fashion today.



Then I remember watching something on the telly one night. I can't remember how old I was (maybe 10 or 11)  but old enough to remember the show but it was Blondie singing the famous "Rapture" and then I was in love with "New Wave" from then on.  This was the start of my teen rebellious years. Parents were strict, friends were far and between and music was there for me during those lonely times.




I remember my very first album that I bought with my own money was Depeche Mode's "Some Great Reward." It was in Georgetown at Kemp Mill Records which is now a Restoration Hardware furniture store.  I loved that album to death (and still have it) and it was perfect for me at that time of my life at the age of 14.



Then I remember trying to get a college radio station on m boom box (yes boom box): the famous but now defunct WHFS - 99.1 and listening to The Smith's "How Soon is Now." One of the greatest songs ever!!



Funny thing was the I was a total Duran Duran fan but I never got their records until much later. I was in love with Simon Le Bon and John Taylor and Nick Rhodes. Gosh I sound like my old teenage self.  Oh Duran Duran!!     You guys still rock!!   I love it!!  Here is one of my favorite songs:



and their new video: Girl Panic - you will have to click on the link to watch another great video.

Anyway, end of Part 1.  Next eventual blog will be about the 90s music in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment